CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

WTF Wednesday

WTF Tuesday has become WTF Wednesday. So what was supposed to be a day to share some work in progress (making it WIP Wednesday) has become a day in the life. Enjoy!



“What can I get you?”

The dark-haired woman wiped the counter with a bartender’s towel and braced her hands on the counter.

Alessandra’s wide-eyed gaze flicked to the blackboard hung on the wall behind the counter, traveling over the choices with a frantic terror




“I said no!” I hear my Spousal-Type Creature (STC) say over the Tom Petty playing in my earbuds.

It’s 9:30 P.M., the toddler is still awake, and the STC is attempting to put together some prefab furniture pieces for our kitchen storage project. I’m not sure who designed our old cabinets, but they are from a time period that apparently did not believe in storing cereal boxes in an upright orientation.

Stopping mid-sentence, I went to his aid. My STC is a terrific dad, rarely losing his patience, but the Offspring is at that stage where he doesn’t understand we tell him no to ensure his safety, not out of meanness.

The Offspring and I went outside to take a turn around the porch and cool off, literally since it’s probably the coolest August on record, while the STC located the screws our sweet little miracle hid in the chair.


Again, Alessandra felt that weight between her hip bones, as if something had settled there, constricting the air from her lungs at the same time to make her feel lightheaded.

“Thank you,” she said to the proprietress. Their fingers brushed as Alessandra took her drink, the cup rattling discordantly against the saucer beneath, causing Nicholas to wince. His tinnitus, from years spent hunting with the baying of dogs and bugles.

[Vienne is extremely flirtacious and the




76 words in this time before I heard a loud, familiar thump of a diapered bottom hurling itself onto the floor and a frustrated child start to cry. Again, mommy flies to the rescue, to a very hot child and a patient looking daddy.

“Buddy, sometimes in life we just can’t use the edge of the couch as a tightrope,” the STC explained.

After some teamwork, we did get the kid to bed, and all was forgiven. I even made my word count, finished the laundry, cleaned off the counter, cleaned out the refridge, took a shower… who says the life of a writer isn’t glamorous? ;-p

Five-thirty came way too early, and so did tremendous amounts of unexpected road construction on the mail route, a couple of detours, road closed signs, an irritated customer who keeps calling to complain about his mail, a certain co-worker who’s feet need to run as fast as her mouth, a child flipping himself upside down in the car seat… but it’s lunchtime now, on WTF Wednesday, and round 2 will commence post-naptime. I leave you all with one last snippet, from this morning’s writing session. Enjoy!



Vienne closed the space between them, coming to stand an arm’s reach away. She took Alessandra’s hand, turned the unresisting palm up to inspect the lines.

“You know what I saw here, earlier?”

Alessandra shook her head.

“Want. Need. Desire. You are so aware of everything, so keen to use all your senses. Yet you stay with that old man.”

“He’s kind to me.”

“I’m sure.”

“He gave me permission to be here.” Alessandra wished the words back in mouth as soon as they escaped, but she persisted. “I won’t leave him, I can’t, but…”

“But you want something else as well?”

Alessandra nodded.

Vienne trailed her fingers over Alessandra’s palm and wrist, eliciting the most delicious thrills over the younger woman’s flesh.

“Come with me then. I want to show you something.”


0 comments: